Sony introduces a new zeiss 50mm lens, this one is a half stop faster than the excellent Zeiss 55mm F/1.8, so will it be worth the extra $500? We shall see! Below is a press release for the lens.
With its normal perspective, fast maximum aperture, and high-end design, the Planar T* FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA Lens from Sony is easy to see as a go-to standard optic for full-frame E-mount shooters. Starting off with the fast f/1.4 maximum aperture, photographers and videographers will enjoy exceptional low-light performance along with the ability to create shallow depth-of field effects. The Zeiss Planar optical design benefits users by providing an almost distortion-free image, while the incorporation of one Advanced Aspherical, one aspherical, and one extra-low dispersion element work to minimize spherical and chromatic aberrations. On top of that, the legendary Zeiss T* anti-reflective coating combats flare and ghosting for crisp, clear imagery.
Performance is top notch as well with speedy autofocus provided by a ring drive Super Sonic Wave Motor (SSM) system. An AF/MF switch is provided for quickly changing between the modes and an internal focus design maintains overall lens length during use. A physical aperture ring is present on the lens which can be de-clicked at the flip of a switch, making this a great option for video in addition to stills. An eleven-blade circular diaphragm further improves image quality by ensuring smooth bokeh at a wide range of aperture settings. Additionally, a dust and moisture-resistant construction will keep you working even in less than ideal environments.
- Based on the Zeiss Planar optical concept, this lens works with a 12-element in 9-group design that helps to reduce spherical aberration and distortion for a flat image plane.
- A normal-length prime designed for full-frame E-mount mirrorless cameras, this 50mm f/1.4 is also compatible with APS-C models where it will provide a 75mm equivalent focal length.
- Fast f/1.4 maximum aperture benefits working in difficult lighting conditions and also offers a wealth of control over focus position when using shallow depth of field techniques.
- Zeiss T* anti-reflective coatings have been applied to each lens surface to help minimize reflections in order to provide greater image clarity, contrast, and color fidelity.
- One AA and one aspherical element are incorporated into the optical design for effective control over astigmatism, field curvature, coma, and other spherical aberrations.
- One extra-low dispersion element is featured in the lens design to help reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing for improved clarity and color neutrality.
- A ring drive SSM system and internal focus mechanism provides quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance and also contributes to more natural, intuitive manual focus control.
- Manual aperture ring can be de-clicked for smooth, silent aperture switching to benefit video applications.
- Rounded 11-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing selective focus techniques.
- Dust- and moisture-sealed design better permits working in inclement conditions and rubberized control rings benefit handling in colder temperatures.