Sony announces the A900 finally. Seems like the leaked info was mostly correct. There still isn’t a very good selection of images available, when Sony produces some, I may put a few on a separate page. Check out the specs below. It looks like it’s an A700 with a full frame sensor, this is good as I really like the A700. All your “DT” lenses willl work fine. The price seems reasonable also, at $2999. Obviously this is meant to keep people from potentially buying the Canon 5D or 7D, or maybe the Nikon D700. The A900 is slightly larger than the Canon 5D, but weights the same. Also, no more “Super” SteadyShot, now it’s just plain old “SteadyShot.” On sale in November.
Check out the two new lenses, (what happened to the other four?) the $1800 CZ vario-sonnar
T* 16-35mm F/2.8 ZA SSM, and the $1500 Sony 70-400mm F/4-5.6 G SSM. I hope they come out with a different color than the aluminum look, this is the same as the really cheap lenses from Minolta earlier in this decade, like the 28-100mm F/3.5-5.6 etc. Both will be available in January.
I guess we’re going to be SOL until January for Sony branded super wide angle options with the new A900. You can use the new 24-70mm, 24-105mm, 20mm (which aren’t super wide) or the 16mm fisheye lens. Get the inexpensive KM 17-35mm F/2.8-4 reviewed here
which should work well, we’ll see in November.
- Sony A900 full frame
- 24.6mp CMOS sensor.
- Sensor size, 35.9mm x 24mm.
- 6048×4032 image size
- 100% viewfinder coverage, 0.74x.
- Full “DT” lens compatibility.
- AF micro adjustments, with 30 lens inventory.
- 3.0″ LCD with 921,000 pixels.
- 5fps shooting at full resolution.
- ISO 200-3200, 100, 6400 available.
- Dual Bionz processors.
- New mirror box, hopefully quieter, rated over 100,000 cycles.
- SteadyShot no longer “super.”
- Intelligent preview mode lets you adjust picture on screen.
- Shutter 30s to 1/8000.
- No built in flash.
- Flash sync 1/250s. with SteadyShot off.
- HDMI output.
- Dual card slots, but no simultaneous writing.
- Battery, same as A700 thankfully, 880 shots per charge (CIPA).
- No eye start auto-focus, I never use it anyways.
- Small, top LCD, looks like the same one from 1985.
- 850g or 30oz without lens or battery.
- New grip, VGC90AM for $379.
- Body 6.1″ X 4.6 X 3.25 or 156mm X 117mm X 82mm.
- Priced at $2999 body only.
- Available (US) Oct or Nov ’08.
- Sony A900 homepage.
- New lenses
- Sony 70-400mm F/4-5.6 G SSM, 0.27x mag. $1500 (middle pic).
- CZ vario-sonnar T* 16-35mm F/2.8 ZA SSM $1800.
- Both available Jan. 09